Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Perfect Tuna Salad

Tuna salad is a snack that my mom used to frequently make for me while I was growing up. Her version included eggs, pickles and mayonnaise. Mine is a little more complex in ingredients but just as quick and easy to make. The great thing about tuna salad is that it is the perfect meal or snack for two!

SERVES 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 6oz. can tuna, drained
  • 3 eggs, boiled and peeled
  • 1 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
  • .5 celery stalk, chopped very fine
  • 3 dried apricots, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon honey mustard
  • .5 tablespoon salt
  • .5 tablespoon dill
  • .5 tablespoon garlic powder
  • dash ground black pepper
  • dash celery seed
  • dash paprika

Cookware/Utensils:

  • large spoon
  • large bowl
  • measuring cups
  • cutting board
  • santoku or chef's knife
  • plastic wrap

Add tuna, mayonnaise, eggs and mustard to bowl. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Then add chopped celery, apricots and cranberries. Again, stir until mixed. Add dry ingredients and stir one final time. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Remove from refrigerator and serve on a pita, wrapped in a tortilla or placed on crackers. I like mine served on a piece of toasted bread. The juxtaposed temperatures and textures of the warm, crisp bread and the cold, creamy salad are perfect!


1 comment:

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

And I thought I made a pretty good tuna salad! Dried apricots and eggs are two things I have never used in my tuna salads but now I am definitely curious to try them. This sounds amazing... Good stuff!