Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nutty Irishman

One of my all time favorite cocktails is a White Russian. The iced drink is perfect to break the heat of a warm summer day. It also has a creamy, comforting quality that warms up a cold winter night. Whether you are sitting beach-side or fireside, in the heat of the day or the cold of the night, a white Russian is a classic drink for all occasions.
I completely agree with the phrase, "if it's not broke don't fix it". In fact, I love traditions. I love the classics. New, contemporary ideas and creations are successful, in my mind, because they use the classic as an inspiration to develop something fresh and modern.
The classic cocktail, White Russian (made with Kahlúa, vodka and cream or milk)was my inspiration for the Nutty Irishman.

SERVES 2

Ingredients:
  • 2 jiggers vodka
  • 2 jiggers Nocello® walnut liqueur
  • 1 jigger dark crème de cacao
  • 2 jiggers Baileys Irish cream
  • 1 cup cold milk or cream
  • ice, cubed
Cookware/Utensils:
  • cocktail shaker
  • 2 old fashioned glasses
  • jigger
Place a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker. Fill each old fashioned glass with ice. Add all liquor ingredients to the shaker, secure lid and shake for 30 seconds. Pour half of the shaken liquor mixture into each old fashioned glass. Top off each glass with cold milk or cream. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Walnut liqueur...I will have to keep an eye out for this one. What an interesting ingredient to play with.

the Aspirant Abecedarian said...

Nocello® is probably my favorite liquor, but I have found that it is difficult to find. I was first introduced to it in a restaurant where I worked. It was used in a Nutty Martini. That restaurant purchased it from their liquor distributor, but it was not sold on shelves in the area. I have only seen it sold on shelves in liquor stores in two cities: Albuquerque New Mexico and New Orleans Louisiana. If you ever find this for sale, I highly recommend picking up a bottle--or two!