Saturday, July 26, 2008

Peanut Butter Pie

I have only ever made this recipe twice. The first time I made it was three years ago and while it received rave reviews I have not made it recently because my partner in everything food is not a peanut butter fan (except on celery). I recently needed to make a dish for a carry-in luncheon at work and I did not feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. After a lot of stress and contemplation about what to make it came to me...peanut butter pie! This dessert was a hit. Do not let the fact that I have only made this pie twice deter you from making it yourself. I can promise that it is delicious. I am also not afraid to say that this is a perfect summer dessert. Yes, I know, when you think of a summer dessert your thoughts probably go right to a dish containing some sort of berry. Peanut butter seems thick, heavy and unappealing during the summer months right? This pie will prove you wrong. In fact, I would describe it as a light, refreshing dessert. That's right. I said it. Refreshing. C'mon, you know you want to give it a try!

YIELDS 8-10 slices

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • .5 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
  • 16 oz cool whip
  • 1 graham cracker pie crust (store bought or homemade)
  • 1 REESE'S peanut butter cup

Cookware/Utensils:

  • 9 inch pie pan
  • medium bowl
  • electric mixer
  • spatula
  • grater or zester

In medium bowl add cream cheese, sugar, peanut butter and cool whip. Mix on medium speed until creamy. Using a spatula place the creamy mixture into pie crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Grate peanut butter cup over top of pie before serving.











***While this is a blog dedicated to cooking for two, I feel that it is sometimes important to share recipes that can accommodate a larger crowd. We all find ourselves in situations where we need to entertain or feed a larger group of people. I will confess, this pie is so yummy that it would be easy for two people to grab a couple of forks and enjoy it all by themselves!

5 comments:

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

I have never heard of a peanut butter pie... looks and sounds decadent! Yum. Thankfully I am not allergic to peanuts so I can definitely give this puppy a whirl. Merci!

Dragon said...

So gooey and good. Yum!

Jeanine said...

That looks absolutely delicious!! And strangely enough, it does sound quite light for summer.

Kevin said...

This sounds really good!

MaryBeth said...

I love a good peanut butter pie....